James is 20 months today, and while it may not be the most memorable age marker, I am trying to soak up every bit of the time I have left with just him. Baby Baum #2 will be here before we know it and James will not be the only grandchild on both sides, only child or star of the show. I know this will be good for him but I can’t help but want to soak in these moments with him as he is such a fun kid and has so much personality.
Things he does/ have happened lately:
1. Asks to color almost everyday. He likes to pick the colored pencil, and part of the picture for you to color and then have you do the coloring. Occasionally he will join in on the actual coloring but for the most part he likes to put others to work. He is starting to be able to identify some colors which is fun.
2. Jumps! Well he can’t really jump yet but his BFF Harrison showed him his jumping skills and James has gone crazy for it. He frequently goes around the house saying ‘jumping, jumping, jumping’ while attempting to jump. He will ask whoever is with him to jump with him. This makes for pretty fun times and lots of giggling.
3. Learning to say no. He is saying no to just about everything these days. As in, ‘Do you want to play with your Legos?’ ‘No.’ ‘Do you want to go outside?’ ‘No’ I am more and more convinced he is just saying it to be contrary. I can even ask him things like, ‘Do you want ice cream?’ And he will still say no. This is where the ‘you can’t reason with a toddler!’ part comes in and you just have to ignore grumpiness and let them know they can’t always get what they want.
4. He loves to read. I have been trying to add to our books and get some variety as I get bored reading the same things over and over. We have recently added ‘Skippyjon Jones’ which is pretty funny and ‘Why do camels have humps?’ Which has tons of animals in it to point out.
5. He loves the zoo. With our awesome zoo pass, we try to get to the zoo as much as possible. James is getting more and more aware of all of the animals. The zoo recently added some bear cubs and lemurs which are fun to watch. His favorites now are the ‘momos’-‘monkeys,’ turtles, and tiger. We got to see some tiger training which was really cool and James wasn’t scared at all. What a tough guy.
6. Stung by a bee. James got stung by a bee on the top of his foot. Poor guy. His foot got a bit swollen but no allergic reaction thankfully. He was limping around for a day or so but it healed quickly. Wheew!
7. First real trick-or-treating. My parents took James out for his first real Halloween. He reportedly loved it and was even willing to go to the door by himself and say thank you. However, one of our neighbors wore a scary werewolf mask and legitimately scared him. After that he was not so into it, and all scary masks equalled him wanting to be held. I don’t blame him, I get scared of them too.
8. Loves being outside. He wants to play outside all day. Ball, swings, slide, cars, digging, sorting rocks does not matter as long as he is outside. I don’t mind one bit as the weather is PERFECT these days.
9. Cuddling in the morning. He loves to cuddle in the mornings, which I love. He wraps his arms around my neck, squeezes tight and says, ‘cuddle cuddle.’ Melts my heart!
10. Amen! He is now very in tune with saying grace before meals and at bed time. Now he will bow his head and say grace before we can even think of it. If someone new comes to the table he wants to pray again. And he always gives a good Amen at the end. We pray that being thankful to The Lord something that sticks with him as he grows!
He is so precious and we are so grateful for each day we get to be his parents.