So this is a bit late, but better late than never. I think this baby has stolen all of my motivation to write. Hopefully it will come back once the baby comes, because I enjoy it so much and have so much I would like to write and capture for our family.
Anyways, this post goes out to the one and only AUSTIN BAUM aka my hubby aka Tootsie! It is hard to believe that it has been five years since we were married. I could have never imagined the journey that the Lord would have taken us on for these five years, and I am so grateful that we get to enjoy this journey of life together.
Highlights from the past 5 years:
1. Lots of traveling opportunities. We stole an idea from our friends to celebrate our anniversaries. Each year we switch who plans the anniversary. We always go out of town and kids are not allowed. This makes for fun surprises each year and lots of adventure. So far we have made it to Hawaii for our honeymoon, the Spice capital Zanzibar, the beautiful Sedona, the beaches of San Carlos, and the land of the beautiful pines Flagstaff. Each one has been so special and fun. We also grab a Christmas tree decoration at each one so over the years we have a momento from each adventure. Most importantly quality time to reflect on the year and spend intentional time with each other.
2. Living in Africa. We had no idea when we got married that the Lord would call us to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Our year there was such a formative year in our marriage. I recommend moving to a foreign country or at least out of your home town to many young married now as I really think this is what has given us such a solid foundation as a married couple. *This is not for everyone but there are many I think it is very appropriate for.* Anyways, besides the privilege of being able to experience the beauty of a small part of Africa, being apart of an AWESOME school for missionary kids, getting to be apart of Young Life Africa in person, and being able to learn and appreciate Tanzanian culture, we both grew in the Lord so much. One day maybe we will be called back to Dar, or to another place. We wouldn’t be opposed to it. : )
3. Moving into our dream neighborhood. Since before we were married we talked about moving into Winterhaven, the neighborhood in Tucson where everyone goes to see Christmas lights. After patience and waiting on His timing, this dream became a reality. We have LOVED being apart of this awesome neighborhood. I have never known so many neighbors in my life, or been a part of a neighborhood that is so alive and active.
4. Having Baby James and Baby Baum #2 on the way. We always knew we wanted kids and we are so thankful for Baby James and this soon to be baby Baum. Being a parent has been an amazing, challenging, exhausting and full of joy all at once. We wouldn’t change it for the world. Parenting brings out the best and the worst in everyone. It takes a lot of love, patience and prayer to make it through but the joy far out weighs the challenges.
5. Ups and Downs. There is no doubt that in marriage there are ups and downs. Truthfully, this year has been difficult for us. This pregnancy I have been SO EMOTIONAL. Yes, admittedly I am the crazy pregnant lady. This is not easy on either of us. However, despite all of the difficulties we have made it through and we choose to love each other even on the hard days. Our faith in Christ reminds of the kind of sacrificial love that is needed for the good days and the bad days. I am thankful that we have this to cling to and to get us through.
And now for some of the many reasons I love my hubby:
1. He is able to fix pretty much anything. His ability to read about a problem and then actually fix it is unlike anyone I have ever known. It is quite impressive and I am so thankful for all of the many things he has fixed over the years.
2. He is a wonderful daddy. He loves James so well and James adores him too. Austin is so good at showing him how to do things already, and James LOVES to help him with every project. Some of my favorite things to watch are James and Austin working in the yard with the rakes, reading books together, fixing things on the jeep, working in the garage and whatever other projects they are cooking up.
3. He is so great at using his gifts for others. The truth is my husband is a really talented nerdy techie. He is super good at what he does for a living, including web design and development. Being THAT GUY there are a lot of people who can use help with this sort of thing. Being the giving man he is, he graciously chooses to use the gifts he has been given to give back to others. It is so humbling to watch.
4. He knows how to have fun. From random funny texts, to silly late night conversations, and his dry sense of humor, life is never dull or too serious.
5. He loves me well. He knows that my love language is words of affirmation and regularly puts it to practice. He challenges me to be a better person in so many ways. He encourages me. He leads me to closer to Christ.
I cannot wait to see where the next 5 years leads us. Love you my sweet Tootsie!! You are such a blessing in every way!